May 21, 2015

Shhh! Don't Tell Hubby! (Garden Center Haul)

Remember how I said I was working on getting my garden in tip top shape for the summer.

I was simply planning to weed, fertilize, and add some annuals.

Well....it didn't turn out that way.

Instead of simply grooming the garden, I decided to give it a complete overhaul.

That's right . . . I'm crazy!

And the garden is no where near tip top shape.

It's somewhere two steps shy of when I started with a weed infested garden.

Sure the weeds have been dealt with, but then I started digging up plants, moving here and there around the garden or adding them to the compost heap all together.  Now I need to split some other plants, lay down some landscaping fabric to help keep the weeds a bay and then dream up some ways to fill all vacant space I now seem to have.  Not to mention haul in a couple yards of mulch via my trusty wheelbarrow.

Which brings me to why I need to keep my mouth shut!

 I'll share with you of course but so far hubby hasn't figured out that my real intent for the garden means trips to the local garden center . . . and new plants.

I have all my recent purchases lined up by the front door awaiting planting time.

Sure hubby is use to me bringing boxes filled with annuals home this time of year . . . not new perennials which cost so much more.

So I'm being sneaky and grouping them in with the annuals I normal buy!

So far I've picked up four new knock out rose shrubs . . . 



A bunch of pink inpatients for my shady gravel patio. . . 



A handful of pink perfusion zinnia's (my favorite annual of all time) . . . 



A tomato plant, and yet another shrub rose (to replace the one that didn't make it through the winter this year). . . 



A cucumber plant, a handful of annual salvia and two new pink phlox for the front garden.


And for some reason a couple grasses.  Not sure where I'll put them but they just sort of popped into the cart all by themselves!



I am hoping once I'm finished splitting the plants I need to most of the empty space will be filled in . . . . but who am I kidding, I'm sure at least one more major splurge at the garden center will be needed.

I splurged on pre-potted geraniums for by the front door this year.

Not something I normally do, but to tell you the truth as much as I enjoy gardening, planting is my least favorite thing to do.  

Pre-potted flowers seemed like a good choice and a time saver so I can spend more time on my garden overhaul.


And since I was congratulating myself on all the time I saved by purchasing my geraniums ready to go . . . . my next Costco trip produced another one for the front garden - - this time a hot pink number.



If all goes according to plan, hubby will comment a month from now on how nice the garden is looking this year!

I'll nod my head and say "yes it is honey, yes it is!"

Mission Garden Overhaul Complete!

Robin


4 comments:

  1. Looks like so much fun! It's so great to be able to get out and garden! Your gardens will be beautiful! We are working on a container vegetable garden right now...having to hit the sunny spots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you make me want to go out and buy a lot geraniums

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dear,
    oh, don't we need crazyness as gardeners?? :)!!! Looks like work and fun! Love how you arranged the chair. Looks sooooo pretty!
    Happy days and happy gardening
    Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Robin,
    You go girl. You got this. It is going to be beautiful. Have a great week end.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thanks for stopping by!