March 14, 2013

Homemade Drip Mat


I know that drying racks aren't all the rage but I seriously can't image a kitchen without one.

For years I've used a ratty dishtowel underneath to catch the water but with all the fun stuff happening in my kitchen I figured it was high time to make something pretty.


Can you image a more perfect addition than red ticking stripe?  I think not.


This project took a total of five minutes - seriously super easy.

One piece of ticking and one piece of an old towel.  I put the two pieces right sides together and then sewed around the outside leaving an inch and a half gap to turn the fabric right side out.  I simple closed the gap by machine stitching it closed.  I like the look of a double stitched line so I ran around the outside edge a quarter inch from the original stitch line.

Super simple. 
I made the drip mat extra long and wide since I tend to fill up the outside with small items.


The drying rack itself I found at Target a couple years ago.  
I fell for it's small size, red feet and basket.


Have a great day,

Robin

12 comments:

  1. I can't stand the big old plastic drying racks..your is an adorable alternative. Great idea

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see them selling these pads but nothing like yours, it is extra cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a cute idea. I bought one at the store when they first came out with them and it's pretty plain and ugly. Yours is so much more stylish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant!!! Must make one! I go back and forth between the drying mat and the plastic drain board... I hate the rack on my counter! This is so much cuter than the store bought ones, and you could do a couple to switch out every few days...thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea. I throw a towel down once in a while when I hand wash something and, of course, it soaks right through. GREAT idea here- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  6. such a pretty idea--but I do all of my dishes by hand and so I leave my rack in one of the sinks. I would have to have a dozen of these!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea, Robin...you even make drying dishes look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's simple and simply perfect! I love it, what is nicer than a touch of red? Several touches of red! I am loving red more and more every day, I long for it's warmth and bright cheery presence.
    hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the ticking stripes! I made one of these a while ago with a tea towel and a fluffy white hand towel. I will have to keep an eye out for ticking to make more as ours is often in the wash.

    ReplyDelete

  10. great post i really appreciate this post it seems that there's a lot of interesting on this site
    i will bookmark your page for more new updates on your site. keep it up .










    Rattan Dining Furniture_Rattan Tables


    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute - searching on red ticking kitchen as may have this be my Christmas theme - love you mat and should get right on making one for myself.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thanks for stopping by!