April 15, 2014

Family Room Highlights

As promised, today I'll share a little more about the details I've used to create the look I wanted in my Family Room makeover.

I had so much fun with this makeover largely because it's focus was centered on two of my favorite things.

1.  Childhood memories

2. Camping

First lets talk about the childhood memories I tried to invoke.  Both my husband and I have fond memories of either camping or cabin time with cousins and extended family.  Adding a few of the following items bring back memories of those times to me.


This vintage poker chip case was passed down to my hubby from his father.
I love the case itself and the trays inside holding the poker chips.  I thought it would be the perfect item to add to the entertainment center to show it off finally.


Croquet balls remind me of the Fourth of July.  
Every year my family has a Croquet Tournament between other festivities of the day.  It's always a loud, cheerful affair with plenty of good humored shenanigans going on.


Decks of card remind me of camping.

When I was little my family would take week long camping trips for vacation every year.  We looked forward to it.  My siblings and I would always play some sort of game in the car to pass the time.  And of course, whenever it rained we pulled them out again and would happily play for hours on end.


Rock collecting has become a memory for my kiddos.

Whenever were out on ATV trips I've been searching for a perfectly white, perfectly round rock.  It's become sort of a family tradition to look for rocks whenever we stop to take breaks while ATVing.  The rock below, is just one in my collection of almost perfect rocks.  So far the perfect rock has not been discovered - - but I'm not giving up the search.


Moving on to projects for the room, lets start with this painted wood box.

I adore wood boxes.  I found this one at the thrift store a while back.  It's originally use was to store flatware.  The box itself is rather big but since the desk it's sitting on is also quite large it works perfectly.


After simply painting over the original dark stain, I distressed the box to bring out the details.
Now I used it to hold items like paperclips, earasers, a small stapler and tape.  You know, the items you really don't want to look at nor do you need all the time.  It works perfectly.


I had a lot of fun with the gallery wall as well.


The camping sign I hand painted on the arrow shape I picked up from Micheals which I thought was a fun sign to add into the mix.


Below the sign is a Wisconsin shaped map.

It started out like this.  
I found the shape at the thrift store last summer and am so happy to finally be using it.


I gave the edges a coat of white paint, then glued a vintage map to the front.  After it was all dried I distressed the edges to let some of the dark stain wood color show through.  I really like how this project turned out.


As for the frames that make up the gallery wall, I filled them with a combination of scenic photos I've taken, or favorite photos of the kids from past trips.  I also added one filled with playing cards which I think is fun.  I have been looking for unique looking cards - - a collection I'd like to continue to grow. 


My last impromptu project was for this small wall in the corner.
The wall looked a little bare so I came up with the idea of using twine to hang two books I'd found that have an outdoor/camping theme.


The hangers were super easy to make.

Basically take one length of twine long enough to form two loops to hold the book plus extra on top to use as a hanger.  Tie the two ends together.


Next cut another long piece of twine and tie it onto the first midway between the book and then end of the loops.  Then simply start wrapping it around and around until your get to the end of the twine.  Add a little hot glue on the back to hold it all together.


Hung on a simple nail I think it's a very cute look.



So there you have it.  
A few of my favorite things in the room that helped my mini maker to be a success.  Hope you enjoyed!

bye now,

Robin

9 comments:

  1. Wonderful touches everywhere! what a great family room. I especially love the gallery wall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robin, I love these memory-evoking displays you have. What a great idea! Now if I can just find another one of those Wisconsin shapes! :-) Love the kid pics against the barn door also. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I absolutely love your wall collage. What a great memory wall....

    ReplyDelete
  4. The room looks wonderful and is set up so efficiently! I love that it is filled with things that are special for you and your family! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great! I grew up camping too and made sure we camped lots with family while the kids were little. We have a games/outdoor/lake theme happening in our basement guest suite/tv room to remind of us fun times too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your idea with the map, and those hanging books are just a delight, Robin!!!! You are such a creative stylist! :)

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Robin you hit it out of the park again.. My fav.. the books with the twine...I simply love that idea.. I love decorating that includes special memories or that have a great story.... Your family room is great! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. SO many great ideas in this room Robin! I love how that map turned out! Your memories of playing croquet also brought back fond memories of growing up playing with my Mom's family at gatherings. Sweet memories! Your family room is such a tribute to just that - wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Robin, you are so clever! You always come up with great ideas for how to hang things!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thanks for stopping by!