April 20, 2015

How To Rejuvenate An Old Cutting Board

You all know how much I enjoy hunting for treasures at thrift stores!

It's such fun.

Every now and then you'll come across the exact thing you've been looking for.

It happened to me a couple weeks ago.

I stumbled across a thick, smallish sized footed cutting board,  Instantly it was the find of the day!




After a little TLC, my new-to-me cutting board is looking oh so pretty on the kitchen counter.




When I first brought it home the poor thing was in rough shape.




The wood was bleached a dried, faded color  - - the sides had a somewhat tacky feeling - - and one of it's feet liked to fall off.

The first step to rejuvenating this beauty was to give it a good washing and scrubbing.  I then allowed it to dry overnight.

The second step required my electric sander.   
I went to town, sanding every inch of the cutting board that I could reach with a coarse grit sandpaper on my sander.  Then I hand sanded all the little parts my electric sander couldn't reach.

Once that was completed, I repeated the whole process using a fine grit sandpaper until every things was nice and smooth.

Before moving on to step three, I made sure to wipe down every surface first with a dry rag followed by a damp rag to remove all traces of dust.

The third and final step is by far the easiest.

I picked up some Watco Butcher Block Oil and Finish from Menards.

Using a foam brush, I simple painted on the oil following the wood grain.




The difference is simple amazing!
Here you can see I have a thin coat on one half and the other half is still waiting patiently for it's coat of oil.




I ended up giving the cutting board the recommended two thin coats, allowing the first coat to dry completely before adding the second coat.










I love how it turned out!




Have a great day now and I will see you soon.

Robin

Linked to:


16 comments:

  1. What a difference! Thanks for the tutorial, Robin! Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful. I wish more people could see the beauty in used items and clean/repurpose/use them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It turned out lovely. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - what a difference. It turned out great! Love how you styled it and your kitchen looks so pretty in the background!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - what a difference. It turned out great! Love how you styled it and your kitchen looks so pretty in the background!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks fantastic!! What a great idea!!

    Thanks so much for stopping by!!

    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - it looks amazing Robin! I love how you've styled it, too. Too pretty to use for cutting bread now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - it looks amazing Robin! I love how you've styled it, too. Too pretty to use for cutting bread now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did a wonderful restoration! I love how it turned out. It looks very nice in your beautiful kitchen. xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need to do this to my cutting board! It looks like new! I love the styling of these images too, you have a marvellous blog. I found you via the Stone Cottage Adventures linky party <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a great transformation! Love how you made the wood look so rich. That's a charming cutting board with it's little bun feet too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for posting this. I need to do this on some of my own cutting boards. Pinning. Visiting from Tweak It Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the tip, Robin - I'll have to find some of that butcher block finish!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great ideas! really impressed with your original and genuine way you have put your story across - you're an inspiration and I am following your journey - the cutting board looks brand new!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thanks for stopping by!