May 23, 2016

Modern Wall Hanging Made from Vintage Sheets

Good Morning!

I have rather a unusual project to share with you today that sort of reminds me of my childhood.

If you were a kid back during the late 70's or early 80's chances are somewhere in your house you had a least one Macrame item.  Most likely a plant hanger of some sort or another.

They were all the rage!

My home was no exception.  In fact my mother loved Macrame so much it was her go-to craft.  I vividly remember her making stuff and sometimes even helping.

You may have noticed lately that Macrame is once again becoming very popular!
And it makes me happy, but on the other hand I sort of cringe.
Not fully sure if I want to jump in head first if you know what I mean.

Recently while decorating my bedroom for summer I needed something to hang over the headboard and everything I tried just didn't seem to work.

An idea popped into my head that I couldn't shake for two whole days.

Finally I decided to give it a whirl just so that I could get it out of my system and move on.



This is what I came up with. . . 




A "Me" version of modern macrame.

Instead of using rope or wood beads as in traditional macrame I used scraps of vintage sheets!




I have to say, I'm sort of in love.

I love the pop of color . . . 

I love that I found a new way to used up my scraps of vintage sheets . . . 

I love how pretty it looks hanging on my white wall . . . 

I love how quick and easy the project was . . . 

IN LOVE I TELL YOU!




Super simple to make,  all I needed was a wooden dowel, some yarn, fabric scraps, thread and a sewing machine.

Cut, fold, sew . . . 




. . .and slip your fabric strips onto a dowel and your good to go.

To finish the look I trimmed the strips into a simple banner shape to give it  extra interest.

The final thing I did was take some basic yarn and wrapped it around the ends of the dowel to form a hanger for my wall hanging.




And that my friends is it!

Now I have a new love in my life . . . 

it reminds me of my mother . . . 

but scream "me" instead!




In case your interested in a short, step by step tutorial I've put together this video tutorial below for your viewing... enjoy!




Hope you all have a wonderful day,

Talk to you soon,

Robin


8 comments:

  1. This is so nice! I am definitely going to copy and hang one of these somewhere. The video tutorial was perfect - it made the instructions so clear. The fabrics and sizes you can make are unlimited. I haven't been able to post comments lately (internet issues) but really like all your projects. Like I have said before, you should have a tv show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. fresh idea! just what I needed:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE it! Thank you so much for sharing, I can't wait to get busy and make one for myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all the fabrics! It looks like a heavenly room!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love what you created. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thanks for stopping by!