November 8, 2012

Painted Table Runner

 
 
I have been wanting to try painting a table runner for a long, LONG time.  I'm sure you've all seen this before, especially since it was featured in Country Living ages ago.  However I'm just getting around to. 
 
I decided my new living room coffee table needed a little something special and I thought this was the perfect opportunity to give it a go.
 

 
I used leftover drop cloth fabric for the base and cardinal red craft paint.  It was so quick and easy I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner.  Plus I love how it gives my table a "real deal" look at a fraction of the price.


After the paint dried, I popped it in the washer and then the dryer.  The stripes now have a wonderful aged look that is soft to the touch.  I feel silly showing these photos with my Halloween mice still on display but I have a nephew who loves to play with them when he comes over every day.  So the mice will stay out just a little while longer.

 
To finish off the runner, I simple zigzagged the edges so it wouldn't fray.  I know some people don't mind that happening but it drives me crazy.  I love how the edges now have a slightly wavy look to them.

 
How about you?  Have you tried this yet?
 
Robin
 
Linked to:
 
 
 

21 comments:

  1. It looks really great! I would never have guessed it was painted just looking at it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome!! Now that I know it's that easy I think I need to make one for my kitchen table!! Thanks for the inspiration... and for the record -- I loved the mice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great! So is that regular old paint or fabric paint or what?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great runner. Simple and pretty - and perfect for the upcoming holiday season, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't worry about being late doing this project...I still have it on my list:) By the way...it looks outstanding on your table.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow ! Really cute , I haven't tried that yet , but I'm going to !

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the table-runner you made! Looks perfect on the coffee table! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a sweet note...I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how this turned out. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't tried it, but this is so great looking...I sure want to make one now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fabulous idea! You did an amazing job! I love the red!

    Jane
    Flora Doora

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it! I have drop cloth that I have been wanting to use but just haven't gotten to it. This would be a really fun project!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have not done it yet, but like you, I have been wanting to do it. Thank you for telling us how you did it, I will do it like that and I know I will love it. Yours looks wonderful!!!
    HUgs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your runner turned out gorgeous! It looks great on that table!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it! The red stripes give the table a great pop of color!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think it looks great! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Robin I have not tried this yet! Love the authentic look! Thank you for sharing!
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad I popped in...looks great, I will give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a peaceful, happy room, Robin! You did an amazing job on that runner! I reupholstered a rocking chair seat with a faux grain sack look and it sold right away in my booth. :) Love the look!

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this, and I haven't tried it either, but it will be perfect for Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Robin, This is soo cute.
    I want one!
    I think I would have been scared to throw it in the washer and dryer, but now that I know you can, I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thanks for stopping by!