I'm so excited to share with you my latest finished project.
It's been one of those projects that I've had in the back of my mind for a long time.
Many of you may remember the headboard shelf that I built four years ago.
It's been a wonderful addition to the bedroom that I like as much today and I did back when it was new.
It's gone though many decor changes over the years.
I've loved the easy the shelf has given me in creating a new looks for the room each season.
However I've never really enjoyed the blank space between the bottom of the shelf and the top of the pillows on the bed. Always thought it looked a little silly... or somehow not quite finished if you know what I mean.
In order to put this little annoyance behind me once and for all, I've given my trusty shelf and new paint job and an addition.
Check it out . . .
The annoying empty space is filled in. . .
And it's look oh so stylish, if I'm allowed to say so myself!
And just in case you are too, here's a quick tutorial on how I tackled the project.
First off if you need a refresher course on how to build the shelf. . . go here.
Next you'll need theses supplies for the shelf addition.
1X4's cut to size
plywood, cut to size
thick thread or string
To get stated I cut two 1X4's to the size I wanted. Sanded the edges and then painted them a base color of black followed by a topcoat of white. I also added a topcoat of white paint to the shelf.
Next I distressed both the shelf and the 1X4's by scraping off some of the topcoat paint with a paint scraper before it had set completely. This gave me a nice random look to the distressing.
Once the paint was completely dried, I used sandpaper to enhance the distressed look wherever I thought it needed it.
I was then ready to attach the 1X4's to the wall.
I used three inch finishing nails to attach the 1X4's wherever I could reach a wall stud.
Otherwise, I used a combination of construction adhesive and nails to attach the boards where a wall stud could not be reached.
Now that the framework was attached to the wall, it was time to make the fabric covered insert.
I measured and cut a piece of 1/4" plywood to fit inside making sure to cut it ever so slightly smaller to make room for fabric and batting.
Once the plywood was cut to size, I marked on the back side where I wanted the buttons to be placed.
Now on to the fun part of adding the fabric and batting . . .
Once the fabric is all stapled down . . .
Next add buttons to the front of the insert . . .
Final step is to simple place the insert into the framework on the wall. It should fit snugly into the opening to hold it in place.
A fabulous new headboard!
Well I'm off to drool over my "new" headboard a little more ...
You all have a great day now,
Amaze Me Monday
That DIY Party
Do Tell Tuesday
Tweak It Tuesday
Tuesday's With A Twist
Work It Wednesday
Treasure Hunt Thursday
Simple and Sweet Fridays