August 22, 2012

Monogrammed Rag Wreath

I not sure how you were during the Olympics but I watched alot.  By the second week I was starting to feel guity about my lack of production around the house.  To help ease my conscience I started a rag wreath project.  It was easy to sit and watch beach volleyball and tie simple knots.

I had so much fun with this project.  Truth be told I haven't made one of these wreath since the eighth grade back at summer camp.  As I worked and watched the Olympics I relived old camp memories.

Here's the finished wreath.


I won't bore you with how I made the base of wreath itself.  There are countless tutorials around and I dare say most crafty types have made at least one of these in their lifetime.  I will however show you how I made the middle monogrammed piece.  After the last strip of fabric was tied to the wire frame I took a long piece of fabric two inches wide and folded it in half.  Next I cut from the folded edge towards the unfinished edge every inch or so along the whole piece.


Once that was finished I hot glued it to the inside of the wire frame right over the knots of fabric.



Here is another view.



The next step was the monogram.  I drew a large "J" on another scrap of fabric and filled it in with craft paint.  I then placed my wreath on top of a flatten cereal box and traced the opening.  After cutting out the circle and making sure it fit, I hot glued the "J" onto the carboard.  And then hot glued the cardboard onto the wreath frame.


The finished project I hung in the basement above a small shelf.


To tell you the truth, I'm not crazy about how this turned out.  I like it . . . but don't love it.  I think it may be because the fabric is too stiff and bulky.  Regardless, I'll use it for a while and see if it grows on me.  LOL


On a side note, it's wonderful when your kids get a little older and no longer play with some of their "little kid" toys.  This little donkey has been a favorite of my kids for years.  I've always thought he was sweet, and since I'm a sucker for donkeys I've been waiting for the perfect time to make it mine.

After my neice and nephew were over the other day, my foot found those sharp little donkey ears for the last time.  I thought it best for all those involved that donkey hangout with my vintage book for a while.

Hope you have a lovely day,
Robin


8 comments:

  1. Oh...donkey does look like a dangerous character lol! Love how the monogram looks on the wreath!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the wreath turned out great, Robin! I bet it would be extra pretty at Christmastime...it has all the right colors :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your wreath is really cute, Robin! I've never made one of these so I'll have to give it a try sometime. I like your bookcase too and donkey looks right at home on the shelf!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great wreath! I always have a project in my hands when I watch TV - it never feels I am wasting any time then. I knit 3 baby sweaters in the time it took to watch 2 weeks of Olympics this summer!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your rag wreath is beautiful! Especially with the monogram inset. Your donkey is very sweet. He deserves a rest in your pretty kitchen.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your wreath is pretty cute, Robin~And I LOVE that little donkey-he is so cute- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your wreath a lot. Those hydrangeas in the last post are gorgeous! Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute wreath, Robin. I watched a ton of Olympics myself. Love the beach volleyball.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thanks for stopping by!