January 17, 2013

White-Washed Grapeview Wreaths

Winter decorating has always been one of the more difficult seasons for me to decorate for.  I'm not sure if it's because I prefer the lighter shades of colors more suited for spring and summer or if it's just that the gloomy days of winter puts me in a funk and I just don't change anything.
Either way, I'm determined that this winter my home won't suffer from my decorating dilemma.  I've decided to embrace the Swedish tradition of white, light spaces with pops of color.  I realize this isn't a huge step away from the decorating style I use the rest of the year but it's helpful to me to have some sort of classification or goal in mind.
I'll be keeping the pops of red that I love so much,  why mess with a classic!  To the red I'm planning to add a touch of black and tiny pinch of brown.  But most of all I'd like to add texture somehow - - something I seem to be craving and which seems appropriate for this time of the year.
One way of adding texture to my home has come in the form of white-washed grapevine wreaths.  I used one at Christmas time in my living room and I grew to love the look. 
 It seems like such a natural way to mimic the look of frosted trees outside my kitchen window each morning.  It also adds that light, bright feeling a like my rooms to have with just a touch a brown to warm things up.


Armed with my favorite creamy white paint I gathered up a handful of grapevine wreaths and started white-washing them a dry brushing technique.


After scattering them around the house in different displays . . .


I'm loving the look even more than before.


It's an easy, inexpensive way to add the texture I've been craving don't you think?



Hope you all have a lovely day and I'll talk to you soon,

24 comments:

  1. I LOVE everything about this look, Robin...now to look for some of my grapevine wreaths...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this look also! Just what I need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simple and sweet - perfect for your decor...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the texture the grapevine adds and love bead board door you made ;) the finish is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful idea! Love the white wash. I have made several wreaths last year, and may decide to go for this look with one or two of them. Love the pops of red too.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving such lovely notes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree about winter decorating. I am always at a loss. I think i am so worn out after the holidays that my brain just stops functioning and as a result my house has no direction until spring arrives. Thanks for sharing ---- it has given me a little bit of both motivation and inspiration!!
    Missy M

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm. Maybe I should try that. I have a grapevine wreath that has served several tours of duty in its natural color. I think it might enjoy a facelift.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your white washed wreath looks lovely! Perfect for winter! I love your pretty new header too!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So pretty Robin! Love the look of your white washed wreath!I may have to make one for my front door!
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Robin, Your white washed grapevines are gorgeous! I have one of those and now I'm trying to figure out where I will put it, yours look so wonderful! You always have such great ideas.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the whitewashed grapevines...what a great idea. I have some around the house that you've now inspired me to try. I love decorating with white and add a little splash of color as well. So glad you commented on my blog so I found you and can follow you too!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great way to add texture, Robin! I have the same problem after Christmas.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Robin, Your white washed grapevine wreaths add so much. I have done this too and love it
    Your pics are wonderful and I love the texture. Thank you for stopping by and your kind comment. Nice to meet you and find your blog in return.
    Have a great weekend and happy decorating.
    Hugs, Celestina Marie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a simple element that brings so much character! Take care, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great idea! I really love how that looks. I don't think I've ever seen them done like that before. I, like you, like a mostly neutral decor with a few pops of color here and there. I completely understand the need for texture as a result. That is just the right thing! Doesn't white paint fix everything??!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My favorite color is red and it is throughout my house. Beautiful photographs!!! So happy you visited, following you now.
    Have a GREAT weekend,
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great idea to white wash the wreaths! Why didn't I think of that? Thanks so much for your kind comment on my Valentine mantel.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those wreaths look fantastic, great rustic natural touch, perfectly blended with a whitewash - love your style Robin! X

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this look. I really do think that any light color can work for winter. I always refer to them as "the frosty colors" because they remind me of ice and snow.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the way these wreaths add sweet texture to your home, Robin! I have a couple in the basement that need a little washing, I believe. :)

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks so much for stopping by Robin and for taking the time to do so! Love your wreaths and I'm so going to try this soon also love the whitewashed door you did in your other post. I'm no a follower of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the white washed wreaths! Thanks so much for sharing at Simple & Sweet Fridays. Just beautiful!

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  23. Can you tell me what kind of paint you used?

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thanks for stopping by!