April 29, 2013

Completed Kitchen Makeover

Have you ever started on a project only to keep adding items to your to-do list until there was no clear end in sight?

That's what happened to me once I decided I couldn't put off fixing up my kitchen another day.  If your a long time follower there is a reason you've only seen bits and pieces of my kitchen.  I've only ever shown you the somewhat pretty parts and kept the ugly parts away from the camera.

Before I show you the "ugly" how about a sneak peak at the pretty finished room?


Nice right?

OK, now lets back it up and take a look at the beginning.  
Be prepared for a whole lot of  U.G.L.Y.


As you can see, it's an odd shaped kitchen with two entrances.  One from the living room and one from the dinning room.  The space itself is wonderful.  The cooking area is large enough for a few people.  If I happen to have extra helpers they sit or stand on the other side of the island.  

The eating area has a large window that overlooks my front yard garden and the street beyond.  The light streaming in from the window is always welcomed to keep the kitchen cheerful and bright most of the day.


As you enter the kitchen from the living room this is the view that meets you.


I adore this long, wide island.  
It's the place I do most of my prep work when I'm fixing meals.  It offers me plenty of space to spread out and make big messes.


To dress it up a little, I added bead board to the back of the island and then wrapped it around the side also.  To finish, I added a nice wide trim along the floor.


Above the island my hubby replaced the nasty track lighting with a pretty new fixture from Lowe's.  
Don't you just love it?


On the other side of the island is the stove and more cabinets.  


I removed the doors from one of the cabinets to see how I liked open shelves.


I have to say I'm loving it.

Our most used items are within easy reach.  Plus it's fun to have a spot to display my white dishes and cutting boards.


I try to keep my counter tops as clear as possible.  I'm not a big fan of clutter.  I'd much rather see clean, clear space with only the essentials on display.  A few items always seem to make their way onto the counter but for the most part it's only what's needed.


Directly across from the stove is the sink and another fairly good sized window that lets in the late afternoon sunshine.


Hubby was a wonderful man and replaced not only my old faucet but also the light fixture above the sink.


Besides painting the cabinets, the biggest change I think was the simple addition of cabinet pulls.  We had never had them before - - it's amazing what a difference they make.

Because our cabinet fronts are so flat and plain I thought a nice chunky handle would add extra interest.  Sure enough, they did what they were supposed to do and I am very happy with the results.


The second part of the kitchen is the office/eating space.  
As you enter the kitchen from the living room directly on your left is a small desk area where I keep my computer, phone and calendar.  This is my happy space where all my blog reading and writing takes place.


Right next to the desk, is a large counter area which works great for a standing desk.  Hanging on the wall next to it is my command center.  A "white" board for making shopping lists, and two hanging file baskets.  Together they keep my family and I organized.


And finally there is the eating area.


The table was a thrift store find that I refinished recently.
I love the rustic farmhouse feel it give the kitchen.


On the walls around the eating area I install bead board which I have wanted to do since the day we moved in.  I love how it gives the room more of a cozy feeling.


I am so happy I finally talked my husband into letting me paint the cabinets!  
Granted the extra's like the bead board, new lighting, and a faucet I had to sort of slip in there at the last minute.  A girl's got to be sneaky!

In the end, I feel as if I have a brand new kitchen and I LOVE it.

Hope you enjoyed the tour,

56 comments:

  1. Ohh where do I start with all my likes!! The hits of red, the dining room table, the white dishes and pitchers, beadboard.....we share alot of the same interests! With just moving to a new house our kitchen reno is almost complete and then I can post a before and after..so if you follow along, stay tuned. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so charming and fresh! Love the red and white and so many of the pretty details. The dining table is amazing, you did a great job on it! Really love your kitchen...it's so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is wonderful - bright, cheery, uncluttered. My husband would love an island for prepping. Our house was built in 1928 so the kitchen is small. Painting our cabinets white made a huge difference.

    I also love your red stools - so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wowwwww Robin...you did a great job.....!!...love your new kitchen........have a Nice week...love Ria....xxx....

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks amazing! I love the schoolhouse light, the table, the bead board... everything looks fresh and bright!

    ReplyDelete
  6. so bright, fresh and pretty! Love your makeover!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It really is a new kitchen! It is so beautiful! The perfect cottage kitchen with touches of farmhouse! I know it must have been a lot of hard work, but so, so, so worth it! Gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Robin, You did an amazing job on your kitchen!!! The transformation is FABULOUS!!!! I love every change you made and all your special touches like new light fixtures, beadboard, etc. that make it sooo charming!! You have just the right amount of red here and there to add a little whimsy. LOVE IT!!!
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it, Robin! You did such a great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Robin, Oh what a wonderful job you've done! Love the bead board-always been a fan and the painted cabinets are so clean and fresh looking. Love your farmhouse table-I would love one that size for my sewing room. Thanks for sharing!
    Hugs, Noreen

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW! This looks amazing! What a transformation. And because I'm a red lover, I just adore the white with pops of red.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Robin, this turned out so BEAUTIFULLY! You really did a wonderful job...I LOVE everything about it! You are inspiring me to get my kitchen finished!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your new kitchen is lovely! Love the white. I painted my cabinets white and I love them. Funny, I currently have red in my kitchen too!

    I'd love it if you would share this at "What We Accomplished Wednesday," at Green Willow Pond. It goes live on Tuesday nights at about 6 PM EST. Have a great week!

    Hugs,
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Robin,

    What a sweet and charming kitchen! I am partial to red so your stools and stripes and wavy valence are focal points for me. Bead board and open shelving are features in my own kitchen, so love that! The flowers and street signs and sunshine are the clincher for me! Thanks for sharing this fabulous reveal!

    Been following you, would love it if you could follow back!

    Poppy :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. robin, i love how bright and cheery it looks. i'm dreading doing it, but, i want to paint my dark cabinets white soon. love the bead board, your cute stools, and that sweet step ladder holding the flowers in your dining area! beautiful redo!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is GORGEOUS Robin!!!!!! I can't believe the transformation! This has got to be such a joy to walk into everyday :) Everything you did in here is perfect!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. i bet it feels sooo good to have it done! i would smile everytime i walked in the room. great job

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great job! You've inspired me to do something similar with mine. I hate my cabinets, too. They are maple, but I always wanted white. Love a white, bright kitchen with pops of color. This is as cute as can be. I know you must love it!

    XO,

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  19. Robin, your brand new-ly painted kitchen is very pretty! I love all the light that comes in there and you have gorgeous appliances. The enamel ware and open shelving is really pretty, it has a nice farmhouse vibe that you can't miss. I love it!!! And I know you do too.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fabulous job on your kitchen makeover!!! I love all the extra little touches you've added, especially the cute little red embroidered valance. Wonderful bright cheerful space!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Girl, I am still trying to convince mine. I can pretty much assure you that he won't budge.

    Your kitchen looks amazing!!! Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've been here three times to look at your kitchen and haven't left a comment yet. I just love everything about it and can't pick what I like the best. So I will just say that it was more than worth the wait! It's such a warm and friendly kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Robin your kitchen looks amazing what a transformation! Love your open cabinets.That is one of my favorite things about my kitchen too.Being able to reach and grab things and it looks so pretty too!
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  24. Robin, there are so many things to love! Fresh white, happy red, pretty details and all the wonderful light. The beadboard add alot of character and charm, and I love the open cabinet too. Everything is just beautiful!

    Jeanette

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love your kitchen makeover...it really does look like a whole new kitchen and it is so pretty!! Love the farmhouse feel it has!!
    hugs,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  26. It's wonderful, Robin! You must be so happy. Having a kitchen that you love makes a huge difference in how you feel about your home, I think. We spend so much time there. I know I would be happy spending time in your kitchen ~ so when are you going to invite me over for lunch? : )

    ReplyDelete
  27. You have a beautiful kitchen! I love all the changes. The paint really made a difference. I love the farmhouse vibe!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a pretty space now, quite the transformation! Great job! I love how fresh and bright it feels and the red accents are so pretty.
    Krista @thehappyhousie

    ReplyDelete
  29. Robin! Your Kitchen transformation is amazing. You have done such an awesome job. I think it should be in a magazine. My favorites in the room are your red numbered stools, your displays above the cabinets, the cabinet turned shelf and of course all of the white and beadboard, oh and the light above the sink, so ya I love it all.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your kitchen redo is amazing! You certainly did change the looks of it. Isn't it amazing how much paint can change a room? It is so bright and cheerful looking. I love your beadboard. Great job!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh, wow, what a transformation! It looks very, very nice and so charming!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I always love a nice bright kitchen, what a transformation. Ivory is my favorite color in a kitchen, it's easy on the eye and goes with every style.

    Xoxo Michelle. thebashfulnest.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. What an amazing transformation. The space has such nice windows and so much light, it must be great to cook in here. The coat of white changed everything and the beadboard is nice addition. I love your kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love! Love and love! Thanks for sharing at the Give Me The Goods Link Party!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. This should be in a magazine!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  36. The pops of red are so lovely! I'm especially crazy about the stools :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Your kitchen is so darn cute, Robin! What a transformation! I love the bead board and your painted cabinets...it adds such charm.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Its the details of our lives I think that in some respects make the impact. Its only once in a while the big picture matters. I loves these photos of the details.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wow, Robin! I'm so excited for you, there's nothing like having a kitchen you love! It's so beautiful and just as functional ~ love your open cabinet!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hey...me again. Check out my Girl Time Tuesday post tomorrow, May 6!!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hi Robin! Your kitchen has personality and is really really charming! I love the red stools and the other red accents. Wonderful job! Thank you for your kind words on my publication. Wishing you bright days!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Wow! I love everything about your kitchen!
    Farmhouse hugs,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  43. LOVE your kitchen makeover Robin...the pops of red are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Beautiful! I'm kinda in love with your kitchen :)

    What color paint did you use on your cabinets? We're planning to redo our kitchen in stages. I have the same color countertops as you, so I'm thinking a similar paint color would look awesome until we get to the point where we're ready to change out counter tops.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Your kitchen turned out amazing!! What a difference. You must just walk in there and stop and smile at the change. Was it hard to paint the cabinets? I want to paint mine but my husband is not ok with it YET :) What paint colors did you use? I'm going to look back and see if I missed it. I love it!!!

    ~Shanon

    ReplyDelete
  46. I always dream of 'white kitchen' for our home. Thanks for sharing the new look of your kitchen and dining area. How much time did it take for this project to finish?

    Have a great day Robin! :)

    ReplyDelete
  47. FABULOUS kitchen Robin! I love the clean, sparkly bright/white feeling of it. You are so organized and neat! It looks much better than the 'before' brown cabinets. I'm sure it seems much brighter in there now, too. Wonderful job and I adore the beadboard, too!

    ReplyDelete
  48. love your kitchen!
    how can I follow you via email??

    ReplyDelete
  49. wow!! what a stunning before and after! soooo many little details and edits that add up to a beautiful space! way to go girlie!

    ♥ http://www.northerncottage.net

    ReplyDelete
  50. I just found your blog and am in love! Love your kitchen and can't wait to dive in a little further. :)

    ReplyDelete
  51. Wauw!! You are really good at this! It is like a brand new kitchen - I LOVE the fresh, white farm house style and you are really, really good at accessorizing! Not too much but a few great pieces.
    I am a big fan of bead board too - everything looks good on a bead board wall.
    Christine in Denmark

    ReplyDelete
  52. I LOVE your big bright cheery open kitchen. If this space was in my home I'd be here all the time! I'm so impressed you and your husband did it yourselves. Wow! Really fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Robin, Your kitchen is so beautiful! I love it!! I adore that vintaggy/farmhouse look. Where did you buy your curtains? I really like the white with the little bit of red. Did you make that wire book holder on the wall? Too cute! Congrats on the feature over at Cozy Little House! ~ Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  54. ahhhwww , I am in love with your kitchen

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thanks for stopping by!